district of Filzen-Hamm
According to the main statute, Filzen, together with Hamm, forms one of five local districts of the city of Konz. The local district includes the areas of the two former municipalities. The interests of the local district are represented by a local advisory board and a local mayor.
Filzen is located on the flat shore. From there the vineyards stretch up to the Filzer Berg. Filzen, located on the right bank of the lower Saar, has been able to retain some of its village character. Since time immemorial, the place has been characterized by viticulture. In addition to a large number of smaller farms, there are some large wineries that are known far beyond the regional borders. The place was first mentioned in 1030 as Velse, whereby the place name refers to the rocks on the Saar. The Nikolaus chapel was rebuilt in 1854 in the middle of the village.
The coat of arms shows a rocky mountain in red in the upper half of the shield, a hanging bunch of grapes in silver at the back and a five-petalled red rose with a golden slug and green sepals on a golden background in the lower half of the shield divided in a straight line.
Felting means rocks, hence Dreifels. The bunch of grapes points to viticulture - the livelihood of the population. Like its vicarage in Hamm, Filzen used to belong to the electoral office of Saarburg, specifically to the Irsch family. The municipal coat of arms of Irsch - from the Latin "ibiscus" = the marshmallow, a type of mallow, the hollyhock - shows a 5-petalled red rose. That is why the rose has been included in the municipal coat of arms of Filzen.
Hamm is located - approx. 4 km from the city center - directly on a Saar loop and used to be of particular importance as a ferry port. River bends were called "hamm" in the Middle Ages, hence the name for the place. The small district is located directly on the Saar due to the construction of the Saar Canal, a lock at the Hammer ferry and the associated river bed shift (during the 1980s). Dominant in the center is the Catholic parish church of St. Mary and St. Luzia. The church tower is special because it is made of stones. Next to the church is the old vicarage, which is now used as a youth center. As early as the Middle Ages, Hamm was the seat of a parish with branches in Könen and Filzen.
A little away from the village is the group of buildings of the Hammer ferry, which in earlier centuries served to protect the ferry operated at this point.
The coat of arms shows a green wavy chevron in silver, between the thighs a five-petalled red rose with a golden slug.
Hamm is on a bend in the river, on a bend in the Saar, hence the wave rafter, which symbolizes a bend in the river. Such river loops were called "hamm" in the Middle Ages. The coat of arms is therefore speaking. Hamm belonged to the Electoral Office of Saarburg, namely to the care of Irsch. The municipal coat of arms of Irsch - from the Latin "ibiscus" = the marshmallow, a type of mallow, the hollyhock - shows a 5-petalled red rose; That is why the rose has been included in the municipal coat of arms of Hamm.
From the Filzer Berg and the Hammer Rundfels you can enjoy a magnificent view of Filzen-Hamm. Hikers, cyclists and wine lovers get their money's worth in this region.