Locomotive 64 393 in Bahnhofstrasse
"Run, retired and brought back to life"
... That's what it says on the new display boards at the location planned for the locomotive in the redesigned Bahnhofstrasse. The steam locomotive – lovingly restored by members of Dampflokfreunde Konz 2012 eV – has arrived at Bahnhofstrasse.
About the history:
The so-called "Bubikopf" with the number 064 393-2. was built in 1936 in the machine factory in Esslingen and accepted on October 30, 1936 in their first depot in Waldshut. The locomotive with factory number 4306 was in service until April 15, 1974 and was decommissioned in its last depot in Weiden. Shortly thereafter, it was acquired by the city of Konz and set up at its new destination at the former light mill. In view of the increasing decay of a technical monument, committed Konzer founded the Dampflokfreunde Konz e.V. association on December 13, 2012 in order to preserve the historic steam locomotive of the 64 series.
After the renovation and installation of the steam locomotive 64 393 in Bahnhofstrasse, the association dissolved. The association's assets were taken over by the city of Konz, which in return has agreed to take over the maintenance of the steam locomotive in the future.
The first steps towards preserving a technical monument on the Konzer Schillerbrücke started in August 2014 with preparations for the dismantling of the 78-year-old class 64 tank locomotive. In February 2015 the Konzer industrial monument (pictures attached) was divided into 3 parts - driver's cab, boiler and chassis . The parts were transported from the previous location of the locomotive at the Lichtsmühle to the Deutsche Bahn bridge construction warehouse, where it was then lovingly renovated by members of the association. The driver's cab was completely replaced.