THE CONVENT OF ST. BRUNO IN KONZ-KARTHAUS
The former Carthusian monastery, built between 1670 and 1830, was destroyed by the turmoil of the French Revolution, the ruins were acquired by the Franciscan nuns in 1855 and rebuilt based on the baroque building plans.
After the closure of the St. Bruno monastery, it became the property of the city of Konz. Since the extensive renovation work was completed in 1987, it has served the city of Konz as a community center and cultural center.
It forms the framework for numerous cultural events in the city of Konz, such as concerts, conferences and exhibitions. But also for private celebrations, e.g. For example, weddings, birthdays, etc., the Karthaus monastery offers a stylish, festive setting.
More about the history of the monastery of St. Bruno
The actual history of the Merzlicher (Konzer) Karthause begins with the negotiations between the Trier Karthause and the St. Irminen convent in Oeren (Trier) about the property issue and ultimately the laying of the foundation stone for the new Karthause on April 30, 1680 in Merzlich.
For more than 100 years, the Karthause St.Bruno zu Merzlich (Konz-Karthaus) has been the dominant building in the wide Moselle valley, and here the Carthusian monks kept the "guard of eternity", as they did for almost 350 years in the old Karthause St. Alban Trier had done.
From 1855 the chronicle of the Karthause leads to the time as the house of the Franciscan nuns, which was caused by the reconstruction in 1885 (after the partial destruction by the French Revolution, at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th century) of the ruinous monastery church, the expansion and the serious reconstruction of the old building, as well as the addition of some outbuildings to breathe new life into the building complex.
The building complex of St. Bruno, which still dominates, was hardly affected architecturally by the railway construction (from around 1875) and the subsequent, partly multi-storey and closer development of Merzlich-Karthaus. Unfortunately, this changes in 1969/70 with the construction of multi-storey buildings in Merzlich-Karthaus, some in the immediate vicinity of the monastery, which do not respect the historical-architectural ensemble enough and take away some of its original urbanistic effect.
When the monastery buildings were again threatened with decay after they had been abandoned by the von Nonnenwerth sisters (1962), they experienced a renaissance in use and function as a community center and cultural center thanks to the city of Konz as the new owner and the thorough repairs initiated in 1977.
The historical development of the monastery was described in the chronicle "The Carthusian House" set out in detail by Rudolf Molter.